When it comes to printing and coding on metal and steel, there are many factors to take into consideration. Large fluctuations in temperature, effects from the weather, stresses on the metal, harsh environments and a vast assortment of surface qualities all must be considered when choosing the correct printer and coder for your project.
Machined or formed metal parts can require a range of codes for either internal or external traceability. When you work with us at Griffin-Rutgers, you can be assured that we offer printing and coding solutions, along with the expertise and knowledge to incorporate the system that is an optimal solution for various materials and application challenges.
Manufacturers that utilize metal and steel can realize savings through a reduction in inventory and shipping errors, the elimination of the need to scrap material due to mis-identification, and productivity increases by automating the marking and tracking processes.
The different types of materials can include:
- Steel/stainless steel
- Metal plate
- Cans – beverage, tin, packaging, oil, etc.
- Crown caps
Typical markings on metal and steel are:
- 1D and 2D codes
- Company logos
- Expiration dates
- Model codes
- Characters and text
- Batch numbers/lot numbers
Some applications may include:
- Specialty inks for the best durability i.e., heat-resistant inks
- Pigmented inks for high contrast with differentiating colored backgrounds
- Automotive markings for parts made of metal and steel
- Aluminum spacers for window construction
- Cleaning bath-resistant markings
- Tamper protection
Thermal Ink Jet (TIJ) remains one of the more common marking technologies for metal components.
We carry the Markoprint X1 Jet printer. It is one of the most compact coding systems on the market. The notable features include:
- Compact size
- Stainless steel construction
- Print speed up to 30m/min @ 300 dpi
- High resolution printing from 60-600 dpi
- All-in-one controller and printhead
- Variable controls
- Simple and intuitive 3-button operation
TIJ printers offer easy integration for printing on a wide variety of metals and are an ideal solution to print on curved or indented surfaces. Features Include:
- Removable ink solutions
- Custom designed system solutions to meet your application requirements
- Scalable marking solutions for low and high-volume producers
- Solutions that allow you to meet regulatory agency compliance (ICBO, ICC, SBCCI, NFPA, etc.)
- Easily integrated with your existing process equipment
- The robust design of our equipment provides long-lasting endurance
- High-speed printing for continuous mill operations
In addition, TIJ Printers offer
- Convenience – a new ink supply is as easy as changing the ink cartridge. These printers are simple to use.
- Cleanliness –the ink is contained in a sealed cartridge so there are no leaks or spills.
- Cost – the cost to purchase a TIJ system and ink is considerably less than continuous ink jet or piezo based systems.
- Clarity – TIJ’s provide a high quality, high resolution print and can be used on many substrates.
When it comes time to determine which printing and coding system is the right choice for you, our team can help you determine the right system for printing on metal.