One of the great things about high resolution printing is the number of choices available to your business. There are printers to fit every need and every budget. Even smaller businesses now have access to quality without the need to break the bank. The Needham S-6000 series of printers was designed to take care of all your high resolution printing needs and then some. This system, along with other Needham models, stands as a testament to what the packaging industry can truly do with an advanced piece of hardware. The Needham S-6000 series is a great alternative to CIJ (Continuous Ink Jet) due to its ease of use and simplified maintenance benefits. To further illustrate this point, let’s take a closer look:
- Simplicity vs. Complexity:When utilizing a printer, no one wants one that is complex in nature. In fact, the easier the better. One of the big drawbacks of a Continuous Ink Jet (CIJ) printer is how complex it must be. The best way to see this for yourself is to simply take a look at the wiring and plumbing involved. Whereas the Needham S-6000 is streamlined, the CIJ seems to be a bit of a cluttered mess.
- Components:Hand-in-hand with its overall simplicity, the Needham S-6000 has fewer components. For example, it doesn’t use a pump in its operation. Nor does it have a separate controller, external communication cables, or external ink tubing. Its only components are 1 PCB, 1 cable and the print head. With few components to worry about, there will be fewer maintenance issues that crop up.
- Maintenance Needs:If both the Needham S-6000 and Continuous Inkjet Printers needed maintenance on the same schedule, then it’s possible that their costs might run about the same. The key element here, though, is that they’re not the same. Continuous Inkjet Printers come with different levels of servicing, depending on which contract you choose. If you have any problems, hundreds of technicians throughout the United States are available to you and you will need to call them for service and help. Yes, that is a great selling point for those types of systems. However, the Needham S-6000 has been proven to simply not need a great deal of maintenance. As previously mentioned, the Needham S-6000 has fewer components. This translates to fewer malfunctions or other issues, which means there is a much lower chance that this system will need any kind of maintenance.
- Routine and Scheduled Maintenance:In order to stay in line with the CIJ’s service contract, you must submit your unit to both routine and scheduled maintenance. Routine maintenance typically includes basic inspection and cleaning, whereas scheduled maintenance is required to be completed by a technician. For the Needham S-6000, on the other hand, the only recommendation is to change your filter once a year, which costs around $150.00.
In Review While the Needham S-6000 and Continuous Ink Jet printers both offer great benefits, the Needham system is the better investment. Here’s a quick run-down of its benefits:
- Simpler Design:No one likes to utilize a complex system. CIJ printers seem to almost revel in their complexity, whereas the Needham S-6000 is much simpler and more straightforward.
- Fewer Components:With only three primary components, the Needham S-6000 presents a much smaller chance of a problem developing with the system.
- Lower use of contracts:Service contracts are great, but what’s even better? Never needing to have one in the first place.
- Less Need for Maintenance:While you should definitely take care of your system to the best of your abilities, knowing that routine or scheduled maintenance is absolutely minimized with the Needham S-6000 will help you sleep easier at night.
If you would like to discuss your particular needs contact Griffin-Rutgers and let us put our 50 years of experience in providing printing, coding and labeling solutions for packaging to work for you.