High resolution printing is simply not what it used to be. Advancements in technology have ensured that the printing industry can offer the best in quality, no matter the application, style or needs of the client. Of course, with better printers and higher resolutions, the need for a greater quality of ink must be at the forefront of the discussion. After all, the best car in the world is nothing without the fuel that allows it to function. This is precisely where the Needham Coding S-Series high resolution coders comes into play. As high resolution printing technology continues to grow, one issue that often comes up is the differences between the Needham S- Series and your standard TIJ (Thermal Ink Jet) variety. To truly understand how much more sophisticated the Needham S-Series, it is imperative that we compare the actual printing features and capabilities of each:
- Ink Per Cartridge: As with many things, size does matter. Or, in this case, capacity. Thermal Ink Jet cartridges range from a standard 42 mL of ink. Needham S-Series ink cartridges, on the other hand, hold 110 mL. That is three times the size of TIJ capacity.
- Ink Usage: The amount of ink that a printer’s cartridge can hold doesn’t make much of a difference if a good amount of it is being wasted. With the Needham S-Series printer, you’ll get 180 dpi with 80 pL per dot. This equals out to 2,592,000 pL for one square inch. A TIJ, on the other hand, delivers 300 dpi with 30 pL per dot. This translates to 2,700,000 pL per square inch.
- With the Needham S-Series a user is able to use almost 100% of the ink from the cartridge whereby when using a TIJ cartridge only approximately 85% of the ink can be used.
- Ink Cartridge Price: Despite wanting the best print quality needed for a specific type of application, companies are almost always concerned with price in conjunction with high resolution printing. In addition to the cost of the printer itself, you must consider the price of the ink cartridges. For example, the Needham S-Series cartridge costs less than a Thermal Ink Jet type, especially when you consider the differences in capacity and ink use. In real numbers, you will typically save more than 60% with the Needham S-Series cartridges.
- Print Resolution:With TIJ, you’re looking at three types of dpi: 300 x 300, 600 x 300, and 600 x 600. These ranges allow for everything from desktop printing to ultra-high resolution printing and marking. For standard coding and marking, however, the Needham S-Series 180 x 180 dpi capability is ideal for most needs.
- Print Height:This difference will stand out where visibility of labels is concerned. When printing is done using a Thermal Ink Jet, the maximum height is 12.5mm per print head. With the Needham S-Series, the print height is greater, at 18mm.
In Summary, as you can see from the above, when it comes to high resolution printing needs, the Needham S-Series outclasses the standard Thermal Ink Jet printers. Here is how these features can affect your business:
- The lower price of the Needham S-Series cartridges will improve your bottom line. The higher you’re printing quantity, the more you will save.
- With the higher-capacity, greater use cartridges, coupled with its lower ink usage for printing, the lower-priced Needham S-Series cartridges actually last longer than TIJ cartridges.
- In a fast paced world, where it is important to identify products as quickly and efficiently as possible, larger labels win out. The 18mm cartridges will allow your employees, shipping companies, clients, etc. to identify a box’s contents more easily.
- Print resolution is on everyone’s mind, and this is why the Needham S-Series stands out. Whether you’re printing and marking needs require standard or high resolution, the Needham S-Series is ideal for your needs.
If you would like to discuss your particular needs contact Griffin-Rutgers and let us put our 50 years of experience in providing printing, coding and labeling solutions for packaging to work for you.